Subscribe to our newsletter

Please fill in the fields below

First name:
Your Email Address:
Phone Number:
Enter the security code shown:

Email marketing by Luminosity


Welcome to our Tenant Resource Centre.

We aim to help Australians secure the best possible housing solution. Primarily, we do this through the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) – and you’ll find lots of info here about your rights and responsibilities as an NRAS tenant. But we also support and encourage home ownership.


How does NRAS help you save and buy your own home?

Renting an NRAS property is a great first step towards home ownership. The Scheme enables you to rent high quality homes at 20+ percent below the market rent, giving you a great opportunity to save towards a deposit on your own home.


How much am I saving by renting an NRAS property?

Weekly NRAS rent Minimum savings
per week
Minimum savings
per year
$ 200.00 $ 50.00 $ 2,600.00
$ 250.00 $ 62.50 $ 3,250.00
$ 300.00 $ 75.00 $ 3,900.00
$ 350.00 $ 87.50 $ 4,550.00
$ 400.00 $ 100.00 $ 5,200.00
$ 450.00 $ 112.50 $ 5,850.00

How can you save more money towards a deposit on your own home?

You can use the budget assistant tool on the Department of Housing website to assist with planning your spending and saving.


What kind of assistance does the Government provide?

The Western Australian Government’s Department of Finance offers assistance in several forms:

  • The First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) – eligible applicants are entitled to a one-off grant of up to $15,000.
  • The Pensioners and Seniors Rebate Scheme offers concessions to pensioners and seniors on their local government rates charges, annual water service charge and emergency services levy.
  • There are also other schemes, such as the Life Support Equipment Electricity Subsidy and Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy, which may provide support to eligible persons.

The Western Australian Government’s Department of Housing provides assistance to tenants looking to transition into home ownership. Check out these schemes on their website:

    • Keystart home loans is an initiative of the State Government to help Western Australians into affordable housing through low-deposit loans and shared equity schemes. Specific loan assistance is available for public housing tenants, sole parents, people living with a disability and Aboriginal borrowers.
    • The Department of Housing is a major land developer and builder in WA. The Department offers affordable housing sales to the general public.
    • SharedStart is a shared ownership scheme, where the Department may co-own up to 30 percent of the property with you. This can assist with lowering the initial cost of buying a home, as well as ongoing borrowing costs.

What are my rights as a tenant?

The Department of Commerce’s Consumer Protection service provides information to tenants about renting and tenancy. You can also call the Department of Commerce information line on 1300 30 40 54.

Tenant Advice Line WA is a free state-wide helpline for all residential tenants. Advice line hours are 9.30am to 3.00pm, business days. Call (08) 9221 0088 (metro) or 1800 621 888 (free call for country callers).

Legal Aid WA provides a free telephone service on legal problems, including tenancy matters. Call the information line on 1300 650 579; TTY: 1800 241 216.


What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

As an NRAS property tenant you have some special responsibilities to the owner of the property, in addition to the normal responsibilities described in the Residential Tenancy Act and your lease agreement. Crucially, you must notify the property manager promptly of any change in your household’s size or income levels.

Please also note, there is a Tenancy Agreement NRAS Annexure that will be part of your lease agreement for our NRAS properties.

Check out the WA Residential Tenancy Act and the Queensland Residential Tenancy Act for more information about your general responsibilities as a tenant.


Other affordable housing options

Shelter WA has published a Housing Options Kit to provide useful information on affordable housing options.